If your pet experiences a soft tissue injury, chronic pain, or a wound that needs some more help healing, our doctors may add Laser Therapy to your pet’s treatment plan. Therapeutic laser is the application of light energy to areas of the body to stimulate and accelerate healing. Therapeutic laser reduces pain by decreasing inflammation, as well as by decreasing tissue chemicals that stimulate pain and by affecting nerve conduction. The therapeutic laser also enhances healing by increasing microcirculation (blood flow through the smaller blood vessels of the body), stimulating cellular activity, and increasing growth factors.
What is holistic medicine?
Holistic medicine encompasses many different disciplines; all of them focus on finding balance from within and allowing the body to heal itself.
Our focus as Family Pet Health Center is to provide the best care for your pet through Integrative Medicine. Integrative medicine combines conventional medicine along with holistic medicine to come up with a treatment plan to best fit each individual pet.
Acupuncture is a component of Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine. It usually involves the insertion of very thin, sterile needles into specific points on the body to cause a therapeutic effect. Acupuncture may include other methods such as aquapuncture, in which fluid is injected into the acupuncture point, or electro-acupuncture, in which a small current of electricity is passed between acupuncture needles. Acupuncture can provide pain relief, promote tissue healing processes, regulate gastrointestinal motility, decrease inflammation, reduce fevers, and help regulate the immune system.
Who is our doctor?
Resources: Pampered Pet Boutique
Homeopathy can be used to help treat or prevent a range of health conditions in pets, including allergic reactions, chronic disease, and anxiety. It is sometimes used in conjunction with acupuncture and chiropractic therapy.
Derived from the Greek words homoios, which means like or similar, and pathos, which means suffering (disease), homeopathy is based on the philosophy that “like cures like.” Homeopathy uses very dilute solutions (extremely small quantities) of medication that, in an undiluted form, can actually cause symptoms of the disease or condition.
This therapeutic method was developed more than 200 years ago when a German scientist ingested the bark of a cinchona tree, which contains quinine (used to treat malaria at the time). He began to experience the same symptoms as malaria. When he stopped taking the tree bark, his symptoms disappeared. The scientist theorized that if a substance could cause symptoms of a disease, minute amounts of that same substance could cure the disease by stimulating the body’s natural defenses.
Homeopathic remedies are prepared from pure, natural substances derived from plants, animals, and minerals. Their preparation may involve diluting the original substance from ten times to millions of times with water or alcohol. Remedies include arsenicum album, belladonna, and chamomilla. Because these remedies are highly diluted, they are generally considered safe and unlikely to cause severe adverse reactions.
Homeopathy is not typically used to replace conventional veterinary treatment. To keep your pet as safe as possible, it is a good idea to have him or her see the same veterinarian for both conventional and alternative treatment.
What To Expect At Initial Visit
- During your first visit, Dr. Rensberger will spend 45-60 minutes gathering a detailed history and performing a thorough physical exam including tongue-pulse diagnosis.
- To aid in this process, please bring all medical records along with a list of any medications or supplements that your pet is currently taking and what diet you are currently feeding.
- Diagnostics, including lab work and radiographs, may be recommended.
- A unique treatment plan can then be designed specifically for your pet.
- Complementary medicine works by treating the whole body, not just individual symptoms. Therefore it may require several re-check appointments and may take longer to heal than using just conventional medicine.
Holistic Modalities Offered
- Nutritional Therapy – Improves all aspects of health based on feeding a quality, balanced diet.
- Glandular Therapy – Heals and boosts organ function by using tissue extracts.
- Homotoxicology – Rids the body of “homotoxins” and stimulates the body to start healing itself.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine – Includes several different forms of treatment that all have the central goal of bringing the body’s energy flow back into balance.
- Herbal Therapy – Uses a combination of all parts of a plant to treat or prevent disease.
- Nutraceuticals – Uses nutritional supplements to treat a specific disease.
- Cold Laser Therapy – Allows the body to heal faster and ease the pain.
- Alpha-Stim Therapy – Electrotherapy used to treat pain, anxiety, and stress-related disorders.
How may we help you?
Tues: 8:00am – 5:00pm
Wed: 8:00am – 5:00pm
Thurs: 8:00am – 7:00pm
Fri: 8:00am – 5:00pm